About MyScript Interactive Ink SDK
MyScript Interactive Ink SDK (often abbreviated as iink SDK) is a development toolkit provided by MyScript to help integrators build Interactive-Ink-enabled applications.
Its goal is to provide the right balance between flexibility and ease of integration, in order to maximize the value brought to end users for an optimized time to market.
Interactive Ink SDK is built to be:
- Relevant for a wide range of use cases,
- Easy to use and to interoperate with other solutions,
- Flexible to accommodate different integration scenarios,
- Compliant with Interactive Ink principles.
There are many use cases where pen input can add value to a user’s workflow. Among the use cases that the current version of iink SDK can push to the next level, we can highlight the following non-exhaustive list:
- Note-taking, with the ability to use Text or Text Document content types to support simple or advanced note-taking, depending on whether you intend to input short notes or complex notes with advanced layout capabilities.
- Form-filling, with fields of different types that can be filled directly on canvas or in a dedicated input and exported for validation and automated processing.
- Diagram input, for instance in the case of office suites, to let your users quickly add diagrams to their documents without fighting their way through several trays of shapes or options.
- Math or text-based exercises, with the ability to write those types of content and extract student inputs for automatic hints or assessment.
To let you reach your users where they are, whatever their device is or the platform you are building, we designed iink SDK to be portable from the ground up, with limited platform-specific parts.
Interactive Ink SDK already supports several platforms, including mobile, desktop and the web.
Our goal is to have all supported platforms providing the same set of functionalities each time it makes sense. While some platforms such as the web do not support the full breadth of what is possible with iink SDK yet – because of the specific challenges they pose, we are working hard to improve in that respect.
With Interactive Ink SDK, MyScript does the heavy lifting for you, bringing its twenty years of experience around handwriting recognition into simple APIs and a sensible default configuration.
Finally, we favor semantic manipulation of model content, with the support of a readable and parseable exchange format that makes it possible to exchange information with the host application or any third-party solution.
- Graphical components (only for the Web for now) and a ready-to-use implementation of platform-specific parts (including some UI parts) make it easy to quickly address light integration needs.
Platform-specific bindings give you access to a more flexible API that lets you implement your use cases, tune the provided platform implementation or even develop a totally new one to support any particular graphical toolkit you are required to use.
- C++ (accessible on-demand) or WebSocket APIs provide you with even more flexibility should you need it.
Interactive Ink SDK is built on the principles brought by MyScript Interactive Ink. This includes support for editing and decoration gestures, dynamic layout management taking into account the semantic interpretation of the input, typeset conversion and interoperability with third-party solutions.
Our goal is to provide you with a toolkit that will let you make your end users productive.